jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From krisNog <kris.glo...@bluenog.com>
Subject Re: RMI vs. JNDI
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:58:54 GMT

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I understand the fundamental difference between the
two but I'm more concerned with performance. If you look at the
jackrabbit-webapp the local.jsp/remote.jsp describe how performance is "much
better" using a local lookup such as within container context or through
local JNDI where-as using RMI to look up is recommended as a last resort. My
question is what does "significantly better" mean? I understand that RMI has
capabilities that JNDI alone does not but what penalty would I incur if I
chose to use RMI even if I didn't absolutely require the remoting
capability. Keeping in mind that everything I will be accessing will be from
within the context of web-containers.