jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From krisNog <kris.glo...@bluenog.com>
Subject RMI vs. JNDI
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2008 02:08:08 GMT

I have a question regarding best practices. According to the Jackrabbit
documentation JNDI is preferred over RMI for performance reasons. However,
I've noticed many Jackrabbit users still opt to use RMI. I understand RMI
can be used in remote situations where JNDI cannot be used but other then
that what is the tradeoff if any between RMI and JNDI? Historically, I
understand RMI is slower then JNDI but does that paradigm still stand or has
RMI performance increased enough to be comparable to JNDI? specifically when
dealing with large Jackrabbit repositories?

Thanks for any insight

Kris