jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Tobias Bocanegra" <tobias.bocane...@day.com>
Subject Re: Drop PropertyState?
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 11:59:45 GMT
> Hi,
>

>  On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Tobias Bocanegra
>  <tobias.bocanegra@day.com> wrote:
>  > i think this will be a huge rewrite which will imply months of
>  > instability and testing, and i frankly don't know if it's worth it.
>  > additionally, wouldn't it compromise the NG data model?
>

> I think this would fit fairly well with NG (I'm not sure if I've noted
>  it anywhere, but I've always thought of NGP as being bundle-based),
>  and we could use this as an iterative step towards it.
oh really? i though it's better to have very fine difference sets. for
example adding a new property to a "big" node, would only result in
'add property' as a difference, but when you have bundles, you would
have to store the entire bundle as diff.

>  (Another potential iterative step could be for example storing entire
>  bundles in the journal, and implementing a persistence manager that
>  gets its content from the journal instead of a separate storage.)
..and the changelog. so that the modifications of a transaction are
direclty store the the journaled persistence manager and the commit
would result it marking the changes as active.

>  I'm not sure whether this kind of a refactoring would be worth the
>  effort, or if we should just look at doing a rewrite from the ground
>  at some point in the future. Instinctively I'd prefer an iterative
>  approach.
me, too.

--
regards, toby