jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexander Klimetschek" <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: New Jackrabbit committer
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 12:43:15 GMT
Hi all,

first of all many thanks for inviting me as a committer! I am very happy to
join the Jackrabbit team and make the rabbit the ultimate Database
replacement ;-)

Well, maybe I should introduce myself a bit and tell about my
JCR-background: I was born 27 years ago in Berlin [1] and still live there.
I got a Master's degree in Software Systems Engineering (sounds scary, but
it's almost the same as CS). In 2006, at the end of my studies, I founded
Mindquarry [2] together with two university colleagues, where we built an
open-source, Web2.0-style collaboration webapplication based on Apache
Cocoon and JCR. We had chosen JCR because we needed a flexible data storage
along with built-in versioning - we wanted to versionize everything that
users modify (Files, Wiki, Tasks, etc.). Because of the XML in Cocoon we
first looked at open-source XML databases, just to find out there was none
that offered all functions we wanted and was still actively maintained. So
JCR and Jackrabbit came across and were a perfect fit! While using it, we
were also working on our own "fast" PersistenceManager on top of Postgesql
(before the BundlePM era), so I also got some insight into Jackrabbit's
details then.

After our funding for Mindquarry did not continue (another story...) I went
do Day Software [3], which was obviously a perfect place to continue with
almost the same technology stack. Not only is working on Jackrabbit part of
my job (don't blame me for the large number of Day committers here ;-)), but
I also have a lot of personal interests, mainly in the area of improving and
optimizing Jackrabbit - something like the NextGenerationPersistence for
example.

Ok, enough about me... Let me give my best for a good open source
development!

Regards,
Alexander Klimetschek

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin