jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Drop PropertyState?
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 12:08:34 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Tobias Bocanegra
<tobias.bocanegra@day.com> wrote:
>> I think this would fit fairly well with NG (I'm not sure if I've noted
>>  it anywhere, but I've always thought of NGP as being bundle-based),
>>  and we could use this as an iterative step towards it.
> oh really? i though it's better to have very fine difference sets. for
> example adding a new property to a "big" node, would only result in
> 'add property' as a difference, but when you have bundles, you would
> have to store the entire bundle as diff.

You could do a "diff bundle", ie. one that references the previous
revision and includes only the changes. The parent node of a modified
property needs to be updated in the new revision in any case if we go
with a Subversion-like structure where the entire path from a
modification to the root node needs to be included in a revision.

>>  (Another potential iterative step could be for example storing entire
>>  bundles in the journal, and implementing a persistence manager that
>>  gets its content from the journal instead of a separate storage.)
> ..and the changelog. so that the modifications of a transaction are
> direclty store the the journaled persistence manager and the commit
> would result it marking the changes as active.

Good point! Handled correctly, that would even cover some of the
memory issues related to large transient or directly persisted
operations.

BR,

Jukka Zitting