jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Drop PropertyState?
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 07:21:37 GMT
Hi,

An idea I had when waking up this morning: How about if we dropped the
PropertyState class and related stuff like PropertyId and the
per-property access methods in persistence managers and elsewhere?

The rationale? See below:

1) Bundles are already the recommended way for storing content on the
persistence layer, and we need extra machinery for splitting and
recomposing bundles from separate node and property states.

2) As discussed in JCR-1552, the need for fine-grained tracking of
property states is debatable and perhaps even harmful from the client
perspective.

3) This change would notably simplify core internals, as we could
collapse the item, property, and node state classes into a single
bundle class and get rid of many code branches on whether an item
state is for a property or a node.

The expense would be increased size and complexity in the "bundle
state" class, but I think it might well be worth it.

WDYT?

BR,

Jukka Zitting