jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Tobias Bocanegra" <tobias.bocane...@day.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit 1.5 release plan
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2008 17:07:01 GMT
>  Speaking of major changes with respect to JCR 2.0 and whether
>  introducing them into JR 1.5 makes sense, I'm in favor of introducing
>  new features that do not affect existing code (let alone break the
>  build) and that are backed by some basic tests (that will of course
>  not cover every conceivable scenario). When users are going to use
>  these features to some extent, they will probably stumble across some
>  bugs, but that way they are discovered much quicker.

i agree with that, too. i even would add configuration that allows to
switch to JSR283 behavior for those feature where JSR283 behaves
slightly different than JSR170. but that's probably too early to
define.
note, that there are a number of new features in JSR283 that are
already present in the one or other form in jackrabbit already, and
are now being formalized in this spec. so it definitely makes sense to
adjust them in the main branch.

so if we are cautious, we should keep adding stuff to the main branch.
i would suggest that new features should come with a test case, and
update to existing features should have test cases that cover the
state before and after the change.

--
regards, toby