jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JCR & thesis
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 06:08:29 GMT
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Andreas Hartmann <andreas@apache.org> wrote:

> ... Find all documents containing the XPath
>  //a[local-name() = 'xhtml' and namespace-uri = 'http://...' and
>  starts-with(@href,'lenya-document:c2c38f30-ff68-11dc-9682-9dea3e2477d4)]
>  That would be typical to find links that would be broken after a
>  document is removed from the live site. I know that JCR doesn't support
>  this directly - I guess this is where XML DBs shine. With JCR, is it
>  necessary to traverse all documents and query the content using XPath,
>  or is there a better solution?...

That's a typical case where the content model makes all the
difference: if each link is a JCR Item (a soft or hard reference
property for example), instead of being embedded in the content,
finding them is very efficient.

That might require some processing when saving documents, with the
benefit of a much richer content structure.

Such an example shows how hard it is to compare storage technologies,
and how important it is to publish the complete source code used for
tests, so that experts of each technology can have a look and comment
on what could be improved.

-Bertrand