jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Klebus" <g...@klebus.com>
Subject Content explorer (Re: Jackrabbit 1.5 release plan)
Date Sun, 20 Apr 2008 22:22:12 GMT
Hi

First of all, kudos to Jukka for the great work on Jackrabbit release
management!

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>  The Q2 schedule for 1.5 basically means that we should have the major
>  new features (runnable jar deployment, content explorer) in trunk
>  latest in May. That's a fairly tight schedule, but I'm confident that
>  we can make it since the required work is mostly about integrating
>  existing code and solutions.

I wanted to refer to a specific feature planned for Jackrabbit 1.5 -
the Content Explorer (see also [1]). As Product Manager responsible
for JCR Products at Day, I have a pleasure to give you heads-up on an
important development in this area.

We at Day decided to donate the CRX Content Explorer, part of our
Content Repository Extreme product, to the community / Jackrabbit. For
those, who'd like to have a look at the current CRX content explorer,
please see the live CRX demo [2] and click on 'Content Explorer' link
to play with it.

There are other open-source JCR browsers available, but I reckon CRX
explorer supports all major JCR features today, has been extensively
tested and is stable enough for widespread adoption. It is also a
small enough web application to fit nicely into the self-contained
'JCR product package' Jukka has planned (another great idea for
product adoption IMO).

Given the challenging 1.5 timelines, I'd recommend going with whatever
we have in place right now (adapting the L&F to fit Jackrabbit's), and
enhancing it in the next releases (rewriting in Sling would be one of
the ideas).

We're going to do the necessary 'cleaning-up for open source' and
adopting the features to be JCR-only here at Day before submitting a
patch to be included in Jackrabbit.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1455: Content browser/editor
[2] http://jcr.day.com/

Cheers
Greg

PS. I believe that by supporting Jacrkabbit in the area of ease of use
we will only benefit from the greater adoption of Jackrabbit and JCR
by community/developers, and will still have enough value on the
commercial / feature side to attract enterprise customers to our
commercial offering.

PS1. Disclaimer. While I have an OK to make that information public on
the list, everything else is my personal opinion. Please request a
written note from Day if you need an official statement :)

--
-- Greg Klebus | http://day.com | http://dev.day.com
-- Best open-source JCR repository: http://jacrkabbit.apache.org