jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: remove JackrabbitRepository.shutdown()
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:01:57 GMT
Am 16.04.2008 um 07:08 schrieb Jukka Zitting:
> If you really needed that, you could always implement
> repository.login("SHUTDOWN")... But just like you can't do that to an
> Oracle database, I don't think it makes that much sense for
> Jackrabbit.

It really makes sense, because Jackrabbit can be used embedded. Oracle
is a massive standalone server, which makes the comparison flawed.
Using Jackrabbit embedded is probably the main use case, definitely
for small desktop applications, but also for most web applications. At
my former company Mindquarry we tried to scale on Amazon EC2 and were
still using Jackrabbit embedded on the application servers, because it
was just the simplest way to do it.

And even if you use Jackrabbit standalone, could you point me to the
standardized and simple command line tools for starting a Jackrabbit
server? These are available for Oracle and co, but not for Jackrabbit.
That's why everyone needs to write his own code calling shutdown().

As a new Jackrabbit user these complicated ways to create and shutdown
a repository are really annonying, because this is always the *first
code* you will have to write to get it running in your application! So
there should be lots of effort to make it as simple as possible! An
Open Source project is the best place to improve on those things,
where the spec isn't perfect (yet).

Regards,
Alex

--