jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@day.com>
Subject Re: remove JackrabbitRepository.shutdown()
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:24:29 GMT

Am 16.04.2008 um 13:11 schrieb Jukka Zitting:
> This seems to be the cause of differing opinions here.

Yes ;-)

> IMHO we should
> be pushing the Jackrabbit content repository more towards being
> "server infrastructure" than a "client library". See also the last
> section in http://markmail.org/message/p6nn4nfywa6xcn3z.

 From the perspective of a passionate Jackrabbit user: please do both!
Embedded is so important in the Java world, and it's a big advantage,
cause it reliefs you from the complexity of installing, configuring
and starting an external application.

The best solution IMHO would be:

1) have a simple Repository start interface, including registering the
object on JNDI, starting the RMI server etc.
2) have a simple "give me the Repository interface" for the JCR client
(that's what JSR-283 specifies right?)
3) have a proper shutdown() which requires admin rights (via Session
as already proposed, not just by doing an "((RepositoryImpl)
session.getRepository()).shutdown())
4) provide command line tools for start and stop, that are built on
top of 1 and 3 (and other adminstration tasks, but that's for the
future)

Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek