jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas Mueller" <thomas.tom.muel...@gmail.com>
Subject How to verify Jackrabbit binaries
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:27:51 GMT
Hi,

>  WE DON'T VOTE ON BINARIES.  We CAN'T vote on binaries.

I didn't mean we should vote on binaries.  Sorry I should have started
a new thread.

> Don't waste your abilities on
> testing binaries when we need them to test the source code.

I agree, testing the source code is more important.

>  Apache's users download the source code and build from source.
>  Jukka's users may just run the binaries.

My concern is Jukka's users. We can do a few things to verify the
binaries. What could go wrong is:

1) The wrong source code was used by mistake
2) A wrong compiler setting was used (JDK 1.6 instead of JDK 1.4)
3) The release machine could be infected with a virus that is added to
the binaries
4) After uploading, a hacker replaced the files and checksums

Item 1, 2, and 3 can be verified if I build Jackrabbit myself and
compare the binaries when releasing. I just need to use the same JVM
and release process.

Item 4: Download mirrors could cross-check each other. Are they doing
that? Another idea is to set up a daemon somewhere that downloads
Jackrabbit from time to time and compares against the initial set of
files (and sends a mail if there is a problem). Is there a service
somewhere that does that?

Again, it's not urgent, but maybe when we have time to improve the
release process we find a solution for that as well. But maybe I am
just too paranoid.

Regards,
Thomas