jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas Mueller" <thomas.tom.muel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Evolution of Persistence
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:56:10 GMT
Hi,

>  In various conversations on the topic of persistence I
>  observed that horizontal, free scalability in a cluster
>  for both reads and writes is a topic that we need to keep
>  in mind.

If you mean parallel reads / writes: Each cluster node would need its
own independent storage location (multiple hard drives, or logical
locations when using a scalable file system). Parallel reads are
possible by replicating data to multiple cluster nodes. It's not
required to always keep all data on all cluster nodes, just the data
that is accessed a lot (caching).

Parallel writes is harder. I'm not sure if it makes sense to support
parallel writes. Maybe it could be implemented using a smart "cache
invalidation algorithm" ('invalidate all nodes below node x'). Once a
cluster node knows it's the only one (*) that has data for a given
node, it doesn't need to replicate data or propagate changes about
this node to other cluster nodes. (*) "the only one" is very bad for
failover. Changes should be stored to at least two cluster nodes, but
not necessarily on all cluster nodes.

>  Of course I also think that based on the experience with
>  with the current persistence model we need to make sure
>  that we deliver a scalable solution for all aspects
>  of the JCR api where it employs RangeIterators. This
>  includes lists of childnodes, references and the likes.

I agree. Long term we should solve the current limitations. We should
still optimize Jackrabbit for the most common use case (which is
probably a low number of child nodes).

>  I would like to find out if we can take an iterative
>  evolutionary approach to a more efficient and more
>  scalable persistence.

I tried once to change Jackrabbit to process node reference deltas
instead of always the whole list (when adding or removing node
references). My experience is that a lot of code needs to be changed
to get a working solution. Also changing the code is dangerous because
we don't have an extensive test suite yet.

>  As next steps I would like to propose that we build
>  an option that allows for an index of the cluster that
>  allows us build a journal backed persistence manager
>  using the current PM interface, which would essentially
>  have a no-op for writes.

This requires that all data is stored in the change log. The change
log could become a bottleneck for parallel reads, but that could be
solved by caching (if it is in fact a problem).

> making sure that information is only persisted once

I think this is a good plan.

Regards,
Thomas