jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas Mueller" <thomas.tom.muel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: remove JackrabbitRepository.shutdown()
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:14:33 GMT
Hi,

>  how would you do it with a relational database using JDBC?

Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(...);
if (url.startsWith("jdbc:hsqldb:")) {
    conn.createStatement().execute("SHUTDOWN");
}
conn.close();
... backup ...
Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(...);

There is no vendor specific import. The 'SHUTDOWN' statement is vendor
specific, but uses the standard JDBC API. Using a JDBC wrapper is not
a problem.

>  I don't think the above use case is something that really needs to be
>  vendor-independent, i.e. how often a generic application needs to do
>  that?

Do you mean how often does an application need to backup data? It
depends on the use case.

Another use case:
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/deployment-models.html
Model 1: The (Web-) Application Bundle
"The individual repository instances are started and stopped with
their containing applications"
How should a standalone application close a repository before the
application ends, without importing Jackrabbit specific classes?
Hopefully this is defined in JCR 2.0.

Of course you could say "use TransientRepository". But that would mean
all repository implementations need to work like TransientRepository.
Maybe that would be an option?

> That's about constructing the Repository object, not about starting up
> the underlying repository.

So, you mean constructing the Repository object is using the JCR 2.0
API, but the repository needs to be 'started' in another way?
((RepositoryImpl) rep).startup(); ? That would be strange.

Regards,
Thomas