jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Inactive sandbox components
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:15:27 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Tom Duffey <tduffey@techbydesign.com> wrote:
> What would it take to turn bdb into an officially released persistence
> manager?

The problem with bdb-persistence is licensing. The BDB licensing terms
are too strict for us (see
http://people.apache.org/~rubys/3party.html), so we can't release the
code.

> I doubt I am the only Magnolia user who uses bdb and agree it makes
> sense to either switch to something else or make bdb more official.

I don't know the full history with Magnolia, but AFAIK the decision to
go with bdb-persistence was made quite a while ago. The bundle
persistence managers in more recent Jackrabbit releases are much
better than anything we had before, so I would certainly recommend
that you at least consider switching.

Alternatively it's certainly possible for Magnolia to adopt and
release the bdb-persistence code, or we could make it a standalone
project somewhere if there are enough interested users.

BR,

Jukka Zitting