jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concurrent modifications
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:46:07 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> Well, the normal update cycle is *getting* the content, modifying it, then
> writing it back. To be useful, that's the sequence of operations that needs
> to be supported, right?

Yes, and we of course support that. What's debatable though is whether
and how Jackrabbit should implement database-like isolation levels or
if it's OK for reads and writes from multiple sessions to be
interleaved.

Personally I'd prefer if Jackrabbit did *not* throw exceptions on such
write conflicts, and instead automatically merged the changes from
multiple sessions. If a client wants or needs better isolation levels,
it should use JCR locks or some other explicit synchronization
mechanism.

BR,

Jukka Zitting