jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concerns about release vote behaviour
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:48:48 GMT
Hi,

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I have a growing concern about our latest releases. Most of the time we
>  barely get the required minimum of 3 +1 votes to release the stuff.

Agreed. Luckily we haven't seen any release votes that could not pass
due to missing votes (though a few have needed extended vote periods
to get all the required votes), so I don't think the issue is too bad.
But it's certainly worthwhile to look at the release and review
processes to figure out how we could make it easier to review things.

>  So a release vote, as I understand it, is not primarily about whether
>  the product code is 100% correct. Rather the question is whether the
>  code was developped correctly with respect to the community and that
>  legal issues have been addressed, e.g. required files such as LICENSE
>  and NOTICE files are in place.
> [...]
>  If all goes well, which it normally does, I vote +1. There is nothing
>  more I do. In particular I do not normally test drive the releases. And
>  I do not think, that this is really needed because of the excellent test
>  cases we have and the community constantly working on the code and
>  trying its best to keep it going. In short, I trust in the community
>  (aka developpers) in producing good quality code.

I personally do put concern also on the code quality in a release,
i.e. the release should be reasonably stable, have no major
undocumented issues, etc. But that certainly doesn't mean that the
code would need to be perfect. In fact I think the known issues
section in the release notes is one of the most important things we
produce, and I'm quite proud of how well we do keep track of all known
defects.

BR,

Jukka Zitting