jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Jackrabbit 1.5 release plan
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:29:26 GMT
Hi,

Here's my first shot at a release plan for Jackrabbit 1.5. There's
been a lot of talk about the next release and related release
processes on various forums, and I wanted to summarize a plan here to
keep everyone up to date and the momentum going towards the release.
For some background information, see also the (tentative) roadmap
presentation I gave last week during the JCR meetup in Amsterdam:
http://www.slideshare.net/day/jackrabbit-roadmap-356326

Release Goal

As discussed after the 1.4 release, there's still a lot we can and
should do to improve the out of the box experience with Jackrabbit. I
think this should be the primary goal for Jackrabbit 1.5, and thus I
consider the issues JCR-1455 (content explorer) and JCR-1357 (quick
start) to be the driving features of the 1.5 release. In addition to
the source code, the main release artifact should be a self-contained
runnable jar that starts up a Jackrabbit repository with WebDAV, RMI,
and browser-based content explorer features.

There are a number of things going on within trunk, especially in
relation to JSR 283, but for 1.5 these new features only need to
stable enough that they don't break things if people are *not* using
them. Most notably the 1.5 release will still be based on JCR 1.0, and
more extensive changes towards JCR 2.0 should only take place after
1.5 has been branched.

Other fixes, improvements and new features will be included in the 1.5
release as they become available in trunk.

Release Structure

There's been a lot of debate about component releases lately, and I
think we'll be doing a number of things along those lines already for
1.5, but the exact details still need to be worked out.

Most notably I'd like to introduce the concept of  the "Apache
Jackrabbit product", i.e. a self-contained repository implementation
that consists of and integrates the individual components that we
have. The version number of that release will be 1.5 and future
releases will follow a typical 1.5.x, 1.6, 2.0, ... pattern, but the
underlying components would be free to evolve following their own
release cycles.

Release Schedule

I'd like to push for us to have the release out during this quarter,
i.e. by the end of June. The long delay between 1.3 and 1.4 was IMHO a
mistake, and I'd like to work towards a schedule where we'd have a new
minor release roughly once per quarter. Where necessary I'd rather
postpone features than releases.

The Q2 schedule for 1.5 basically means that we should have the major
new features (runnable jar deployment, content explorer) in trunk
latest in May. That's a fairly tight schedule, but I'm confident that
we can make it since the required work is mostly about integrating
existing code and solutions.

I'd be happy if we could branch 1.5 sometime in late May, and have the
first release candidates out for testing in early June. Of course the
schedule can and probably will need to be adjusted somewhat, but I'll
try to keep everyone posted by updating this release plan.

BR,

Jukka Zitting