jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: remove JackrabbitRepository.shutdown()
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:40:13 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Thomas Mueller
<thomas.tom.mueller@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Do you mean "repository creation and deletion" or "repository object
>  creation and closing"? JSR 283, version 2.0, public review 2 July
>  2007, page 49 talks about "Repository Construction".

That's about constructing the Repository object, not about starting up
the underlying repository.

>  When the application has to link to a specific class it is not
>  possible to create wrappers (for example JCRLog). When the application
>  links to an interface this is not an issue.

You can certainly wrap things around the existing Repository
interface. I don't see how the lack of a shutdown method is a problem
here. Note that shutting down the repository should be the
responsibility of whoever started the repository in the first place,
and they will always have an unwrapped reference to the underlying
repository implementation.

>  There is no 'Database' interface in the JDBC API, and applications
>  don't need it. When using the JCR API, you first have to have to
>  construct a Repository object to get a Session.

The Repository interface in JCR is roughly equivalent to DataSource in JDBC.

BR,

Jukka Zitting