jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Component releases, take 2
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:14:02 GMT
Hi,

I've been thinking more about the proposed componentization of our
release process. Here's a few of my thoughts:

* There are many good reasons for breaking selected components from
the synchronized release model we've followed up to 1.4.

* On the other hand, component based releases
  - increase coordination overhead for cross-component dependencies,
  - increase release management efforts,
  - require extra projects in the issue tracker,
  - can be confusing to end users,
  - prevent a simple "checkout and build" of the entire project,
  - etc.

* Also, we should IMHO strengthen the Apache Jackrabbit brand as a
single product instead of a collection of components. Our JCR
implementation should be called "Apache Jackrabbit", not "Apache
Jackrabbit Core" (or some such).

* So perhaps we should adopt a subproject structure like the one in
many other Apache projects, where Jackrabbit is the main top level
product that focuses on the content repository implementation, and
subprojects like "JCR tools" (name ideas welcome) with their own
mailing lists and Jira keys could focus on things like JCR-RMI and OCM
that have little or no dependencies to or from the Jackrabbit content
repository. Such subprojects would have no trouble maintaining their
own independent release cycles etc. If such subprojects end up having
a life of their own, we could even in distant future branch them off
as separate TLPs.

To summarize, I believe the best approach to doing component releases
is by reflecting that structure also in the way the Apache Jackrabbit
project is organized.

BR,

Jukka Zitting