jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From greg power <greg.power...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Component releases, take 2
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:05:29 GMT

As new user I have not had problems installing jackrabbit. I got it up and
running on JBoss using the RAR built by maven and it works fine with both
JNDI and RMI using the instructions from the wiki.

However once you're up and running and you've been through first hops and
the two or three short tutorials available on the net, planning to do
something serious with jackrabbit is like falling off a cliff. Figuring out
how to create and register custom node types for your app, for example, or
working out how to make a development test bed workspace that can be loaded,
exported, amended, re-imported etc is *really* hard - no understandable
examples.

For example, where is the file "test.xml" for the third hop example? The
code examples throughout the wiki and the forum are generally fine, but
without understanding how to create/define content they are difficult to
use. It's a bit like trying to use JDBC or ORM without knowing anything
about RDBMS.

It would make an enormous difference to me if third hop had a) a simple CND
file + test.xml to download, b)  imported them, c) made a few changes and
added a couple of items, d) exported to test_updated.xml.

>From a new user perspective, I think this is a more important issue than
download packaging etc. As with RDF, I think the biggest barrier to jcr
take-up is that whereas everyone knows databases and SQL (and there are shed
loads of resources to help if you don't), very few people know the syntax,
semantics, idioms etc of jcr in the same way.

regards
gregor