jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit 1.5 release plan
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:21:28 GMT

Am Freitag, den 18.04.2008, 11:07 +0200 schrieb Thomas Mueller:
> Hi,
> >  > There are a number of things going on within trunk, especially in
> >  > relation to JSR 283, but for 1.5 these new features only need to
> >  > stable enough that they don't break things if people are *not* using
> >  > them.
> >
> >  This kind of worries me ! I would rather like to have major code changes
> >  be done in a separate branch and be merged back into trunk when done.
> >  Otherwise, we get a dependency on the state of that respective
> >  development, which is not helpfull (at best) or preventing releases (at
> >  worst).
> I wouldn't branch, or branch as late as possible.

I basically agree. Branching should not be done if not really required.

>  If we have enough
> test cases (I know...) even major changes shouldn't be a problem.

Unless, the changes are so big, as they might make it impossible for a
longer time to have regular checkins one one hand and stable builds
(nightlies I should say) on the other hand. In this case a development
branch might be worth it.

The reason is, that creating a development branch troubles a single
developer (or a limitted number of them) while breaking the build
troubles the complete community ;-)

> Branching (and specially merging) is more work.

View raw message