jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JCR & thesis
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:27:17 GMT
Hi Martin,

Martin schrieb:
> I've talked to my supervisor and comparison to other technologies with some benchmarks
could be interesting.

I wonder if it is really appropriate, or even possible, to compare
"technologies" regarding performance. IMO the performance is rather an
aspect of the implementation.

How about comparing the performance of different JCR implementations
instead (Jackrabbit, Alfresco, Exo, Jeceira, ...)?

Another option would be to compare Jackrabbit with market leaders of
other technologies in certain areas e.g.,

- SQL query speed comparison with MySQL/PostgreSQL
- read/write comparisons with filesystems
- read/write comp. of Jackrabbit JCR-Object mapping with RDBMS+ORM

This could help potential users to make a decision for a certain field
of application.

-- Andreas

> So, the question is: what would be "the other technologies"?
> Some candidates :-):
> RDBMS (e.g. Oracle Database, MySQL) - probably using some ORM (JPA, Hibernate)?
> WebDav
> local filesystem
> different versions of Jackrabbit
> different implementation of jsr-170/jsr-283
> XML databases (well, I haven't worked with any XML db engine, so I don't know what would
be the best choice - e.g. Apache Xindice?)
> ODBMS (as far as I remember, I've only worked with object databases in sense of using
ORM on top of RDBM and I've heard something about Caché)

> I know I'm mixing different things together, but for now...
>
> A final list will be shorter, to be able to make deeper comparison.
> Since you have more experience with JCR, you are more than welcome to add/remove items
or change their order. And this is also way how to include technology you would like to see
in "comparison"...

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH