jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Tobias Bocanegra" <tobias.bocane...@day.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit Security -> branch or not
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 19:23:16 GMT
hi angela,
i have confidence in your code and believe that we should add it
directly into the trunk. this also helps the community to use, test
and understand the new security concepts of JSR283. this, of course
only if the changes do not break JSR170 compliance.

regards, toby

On 3/7/08, Angela Schreiber <anchela@day.com> wrote:
> hi
>
>  i have been working for a while now on the security extension
>  defined by JSR 283 and on JCR-1171.
>  it's obviously not completed yet, but i have the impression
>  that i would be favourable to give others the opportunity to
>  take a look at it... specially christian who spent a lot of
>  time with the ac before (see JCR-1171).
>
>  since this is still work in progress (i.e. not complete),
>  only partially tested and affects the very details of the
>  jackrabbit-core, i wanted to make sure there is overall
>  consensus on the procedure.
>
>  from my point of view i have the following possibilities:
>
>  - create a temporary branch
>    > no troubles for those working on or using the trunk
>    > merging horror
>    > less pressure if something gets wrong, tests fail...
>
>  - start committing to the trunk
>    > no merging
>    > better chance to detect problems
>    > everyone using trunk has to suffer ;)
>    > i will have to follow my own time schedule and would
>      not be able to run after bugs immediately.
>
>  - continue working locally until i'm confident that it's
>    mostly finished and until i had time to make sure that
>    the overall performance does not suffer to much.
>    the pros and contras are pretty obvious and i wouldn't
>    write this if was convinced about this option :)
>
>  i had a status yesterday where jackrabbit built and
>  the tests (except from some of mine that currently act
>  as reminder and the known restore problem) passed.
>
>  as i said: this is still work in progress, known issues and
>  numerous open tasks, high risk that jackrabbit-core is not
>  stable. in addition i didn't spent any time on performance
>  analysis yet.
>
>  what's your preference?
>
> angela

T +41 61 226 98 98, F +41 61 226 98 97