jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Thilina Buddhika" <thilin...@gmail.com>
Subject Project Idea for GSoC based on Jackrabbit
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 08:34:43 GMT
Hi ,
I am really interested in Apache Jackrabbit project. I have been building
some applications on top of Jackrabbit, and I am realizing the potential of
Jackrabbit. So I thought of doing a GSoC project based on Apache Jackrabbit.

An idea that came up to mind, is to develop a *multimedia files management
tool* on top of Jackrabbit.  At present people normally store their
multimedia files in the file system.  They have go back and  forth to  find
a  particular file. Also they can not sort the files in a way they want to.
So finding an file is time consuming and needs a lot of effort.

But this application will help the user to store different types of
multimedia files ( mp3s, videos, movies, etc) in an organized manner. So it
will make his life easier when retrieving them back.  Also they can rate
them. Searching, sorting can also be facilitated. It is possible to extend
this scope a bit more to support documents as well. So people can store
their text files, pdfs, power point presentations, etc. They can search for
the contents of these documents.  Least but not least, users can maintain
different versions of the documents easily, if they are writing it for a
long period if time. As I feel it is possible to incorporate all these
features with the help of Jackrabbit.

I would really appreciate if you can  give your valuable feedbacks on this
proposal.

thanking you in advance.

regards,
Thilina