jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Sources in releases (Was: [VOTE] Release jackrabbit-jcr-commons 1.4.1)
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:38:26 GMT
On Mar 26, 2008, at 1:23 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Felix Meschberger
> <fmeschbe@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Am Mittwoch, den 26.03.2008, 16:22 +0200 schrieb Jukka Zitting:
>>> Where's the source code? The -sources jar doesn't come with the
>>> Maven
>>> build, the test cases, or other supporting files. A jar
>>> containing the
>>> svn export of the relevant tag would be good.
>>  ok, sounds reasonable. What do you normally do to create the
>> src ? jar
>>  the svn export ? I just posted the result of running the maven
>> release
>>  plugin...
> I typically do something like this:
>     $ TAG=jackrabbit-jcr-commons-1.4.1
>     $ JAR=$TAG-src.jar
>     $ svn export http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/tags/$TAG
>     $ jar cMf $JAR $TAG
>     $ openssl md5 < $JAR > $JAR.md5
>     $ openssl sha1 < $JAR > $JAR.sha
>     $ gpg --armor --output $JAR.asc --detach-sig $JAR
> Agreed, it's not very streamlined, though I do have it scripted to a
> large degree.
> PS. As for why we need the -src jar; as an open _source_ project our
> releases should (some say must) be in source form. We can provide
> pre-compiled binaries and things like the Maven -sources jars as a
> convenience to users, but the primary content of the release should be
> the sources from which those convenience packages were built.

It is a MUST.  When we vote on a release, we vote on the source
package (all of the other packages are just a convenience and can
be changed multiple times without changing the version number).
Our votes are to verify that we built the source code, as provided
in the source package, and it works on our system as intended by
the release.  Some people go further and diff the source package
against subversion, test multiple platforms, etc.

View raw message