jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Release automation (Was: svn commit: r641291 - /jackrabbit/branches/1.4/jackrabbit-jcr-commons/pom.xml)
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:53:15 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Am Mittwoch, den 26.03.2008, 16:29 +0200 schrieb Jukka Zitting:
>  > One of the reasons why I prefer not to use the maven-release-plugin.
>  > Not terribly bad IMHO, but not ideal either.
>
>  Hmm, this is a known issue with the maven-release-plugin: the <project>
>  tag must be on a single line, otherwise this happens...

ACK. I think we can live with this.

>  On the other hand, if this is the sole issue with the
>  maven-release-plugin, so what ? There is a known workaround. On the
>  other hand the plugin takes a lot of manual work off our shoulders and
>  therefore is worth considering.

Perhaps it's just my prejudice, but one concern with
maven-release-plugin is that it takes over the SCM interaction and
commits stuff directly to svn. I'm much more fond of tools like
svnmerge.py that just prepare a set of changes in the local copy and
let the user review and explicitly commit those changes. Of course you
can revert things in svn if the tool does something wrong, so perhaps
I'm just being overly paranoid.

Another issue is that maven-release-plugin only really cares about
Maven, whereas our release process should primarily be producing the
-src.jar package that simply contains the exact release sources as
tagged in svn. We could let maven-release-plugin do the release work
and then create the -src.jar from the produced tag, but that seems a
bit backwards and requires extra work. The maven-release-plugin also
doesn't support the concept of a release vote.

So, while I'm all for increasing release automation, I'm not yet
convinced that maven-release-plugin is the tool we should be using.
But feel free to convince me otherwise. :-)

BR,

Jukka Zitting