jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Jackrabbit board report draft
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:33:48 GMT
Hi,

Here's a draft of the Jackrabbit board report that I'm planning to
send tomorrow. Let me know if there's anything you'd like to changes
or add.

----

Apache Jackrabbit is a fully conforming implementation of the Content
Repository for Java Technology API (JCR, specified in JSR 170).

The Apache Jackrabbit project is in good shape. We have no board-level
issues at this time.

o Releases

  Apache Jackrabbit 1.4 was released in January.

  We are considering switching to releasing individual components
  in a more frequent and fine-grained manner. So far Jackrabbit releases
  have contained new versions of all Jackrabbit components.

  The first component release, jackrabbit-core 1.4.1, was made in February.

o Legal

  Apache Jackrabbit uses or bundles no cryptographic code, so there is no
  need for export control notifications.

  We have identified a minor license violation by an external party
  bundling Jackrabbit code without meeting all the ALv2 requirements
  (no NOTICE file, etc.). With help from the legal team, we have notified
  the party in question and expect the issue to be resolved soon.

o Community

  The Jackrabbit PMC has voted to invite Esteban Franqueiro to be a Jackrabbit
  committer and PMC member. We are waiting for the CLA to proceed with the
  committer account and other administrative bits.

  We are planning to have a JCR community gathering event right next to the
  ApacheCon EU next month in Amsterdam.

o Development

  The 1.4 release was well received, and with increased usage we've also
  seen many requests to make the default installation and out-of-the-box
  experience smoother for new users. We're working on addressing those needs.

  The ongoing work towards the JCR 2.0 reference implementation continues,
  and with major new features and changes entering the codebase we may see
  some instability of the trunk during the months ahead. On the other hand
  there's recently been much focus on improving test coverage and more test
  automation, which should help us maintain stability of the codebase.

  Some of our users are not yet ready to upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4, so we
  are working on the 1.3 maintenance branch to produce a 1.3.4 release with
  selected bug fixes and improvements from newer releases.

o Infrastructure

  Our web site is now managed using Confluence.

  We have had problems with our private Continuum installation in the
  Jackrabbit zone, and so we are currently migrating our CI builds to the
  Hudson zone.

----

BR,

Jukka Zitting