jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit Security -> branch or not
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:41:21 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Angela Schreiber <anchela@day.com> wrote:
>  anyway, you didn't get my mail. you can't mark it beta or preview
>  since it affects the very fundamentals. it's there or
>  it isn't.... i don't see any room for 'relative' here ;)

There's always a range from totally broken to completely bug-free, and
I don't see us ever getting to either end of that range.

The basic requirement IMHO for having the code in trunk is that at
some point in the next 3-4 months the trunk should be in a state that
introduces no major regressions to anyone using Jackrabbit 1.4.
Essentially, this feature should not break things for someone who
isn't using access control.

Beyond that I think we just need to evaluate the current state of the
feature by the time of the next release. If it's already production
ready, we can introduce it as a stable new feature. Otherwise we can
mark it as a beta or technology preview, to be used by people who are
ready for things to change in the next release.

BR,

Jukka Zitting