jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <da...@day.com>
Subject Re: JCR & thesis
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:13:14 GMT
hi martin,

i would agree that it makes sense to compare different technologies in terms of
their featureset...

i agree with andreas that comparing performance beyond one specific
implementation
may be complicated. generally performance is very much subject to configuration
and relevant usecases (loadtests) it's therefore even hard to compare different
implementations of the same "technology".

...having said that i would certainly be interested in helping to come up with
relevant usecases to benchmark jcr.

regards,
david

2008/3/31 Martin <mat.mail@centrum.cz>:
> I've talked to my supervisor and comparison to other technologies with some benchmarks
could be interesting.

>  So, the question is: what would be "the other technologies"?
>  Some candidates :-):
>  RDBMS (e.g. Oracle Database, MySQL) - probably using some ORM (JPA, Hibernate)?
>  WebDav
>  local filesystem
>  different versions of Jackrabbit
>  different implementation of jsr-170/jsr-283
>  XML databases (well, I haven't worked with any XML db engine, so I don't know what would
be the best choice - e.g. Apache Xindice?)
>  ODBMS (as far as I remember, I've only worked with object databases in sense of using
ORM on top of RDBM and I've heard something about Caché)

>  I know I'm mixing different things together, but for now...
>
>  A final list will be shorter, to be able to make deeper comparison.
>  Since you have more experience with JCR, you are more than welcome to add/remove items
or change their order. And this is also way how to include technology you would like to see
in "comparison"...