jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Same name siblings
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:04:13 GMT
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Martijn Hendriks <martijnh@gx.nl> wrote:
>  > I would say that SNS is worth the effort because dropping support completely
>  > will give a serious migration issue for users that have deployed repositories that
>  > use SNS and want to stay close to the newest Jackrabbit version.
>
>  Agreed. Based on the comments in this thread I think we need to keep
>  supporting SNS.
>

>  > I am not into the technical details of the SNS support: what is exactly causing
>  > problems and what would be needed to fix it?
>
>  The main concerns are indexing (JCR-392) and versioning (JCR-43,
>  JCR-435). Quite often we also see other issues related to SNS, see for
>  example JCR-1167.
>
>  I believe the technical issues could mostly (there are some tricky
>  corner case semantics) be resolved, but currently we're not putting
>  too much priority on such issues as evidenced by three of our four
>  oldest known issues being about same name siblings.

i don't fully agree. i'd say that the main reason is that there's currenlty not
a lot of enthusiasm for tackling tricky versioning related issues ;).
such issues
being related to SNS is IMO just a coincidence.

> One reason for
>  this is our basic response "same name siblings should be avoided"
>  (JCR-392).

while i agree with the statement in general i think that the issue comment
is inappropriate.

>  I don't think such approach is viable in the long term, so IMHO we
>  need to decide whether using SNS is OK or not. If it's OK (as seems to
>  be the message of this thread) then we need to start treating SNS
>  issues more seriously and prioritize them higher than we do at the
>  moment.

+1

cheers
stefan