jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Same name siblings
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 15:59:36 GMT
hi jukka

On Feb 8, 2008 4:23 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Support for same name siblings is troublesome and currently the best
> practice is to avoid them if possible. In many cases the default
> response when we see people having problems with SNS is to tell them
> not to use the feature.

i think we have to distinguish between issues related
to the SNS feature in general and issues related to
jackrabbit's implementation of the SNS feature.

the main reason for not using SNS is IMO path instability.
that's an inherent SNS 'feature' and not an implementation issue.
personally i am not aware of SNS implementation issues in jackrabbit
but i might perhaps just ignoring them ;) do you have any particular in mind?

> I think that's lame. We should either treat SNS as a first-class
> feature that we just haven't been able to make work yet, or explicitly
> deprecate it and plan to drop or at least seriously limit the feature
> as far as is permitted by the JCR standard.

since SNS are enabled through node types and according to the JCR spec
the minimal requirement for a compliant implementation is nt:base support
we could just choose to not support SNS at all ;)

however, since jackrabbit is the RI, that's IMO unfortunately not an option.
don't get me wrong. i am not advocating SNS use. the SNS feature is IMO
flawed. it was introduced as a compromise in order to enable import of
arbitrary xml documents. i guess we have to live with it.

> The current status where SNS is kind of supported but "you should not
> use it!" is IMHO not sustainable in the long run.
> WDYT, is SNS worth the effort, or should we consider dropping it?
> BR,
> Jukka Zitting

View raw message