jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Martijn Hendriks <marti...@gx.nl>
Subject RE: Same name siblings
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:33:32 GMT
Hi Jukka,

I would say that SNS is worth the effort because dropping support completely will give a serious
migration issue for users that have deployed repositories that use SNS and want to stay close
to the newest Jackrabbit version. You mention that the feature could also be limited as far
as permitted by the JCR standard. What does that exactly mean wrt backwards compatability?

I am not into the technical details of the SNS support: what is exactly causing problems and
what would be needed to fix it?

Best regards,

Martijn Hendriks

-----Original Message-----
From: Jukka Zitting [mailto:jukka.zitting@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2008 4:23 PM
To: dev@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Same name siblings

Hi,

Support for same name siblings is troublesome and currently the best
practice is to avoid them if possible. In many cases the default
response when we see people having problems with SNS is to tell them
not to use the feature.

I think that's lame. We should either treat SNS as a first-class
feature that we just haven't been able to make work yet, or explicitly
deprecate it and plan to drop or at least seriously limit the feature
as far as is permitted by the JCR standard.

The current status where SNS is kind of supported but "you should not
use it!" is IMHO not sustainable in the long run.

WDYT, is SNS worth the effort, or should we consider dropping it?

BR,

Jukka Zitting