jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jackrabbit-core 1.4.2 release plan
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:14:52 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 9:57 PM, Alex Lukin <lukin@stu.cn.ua> wrote:
> Thursday 21 February 2008 21:40:09 Jukka Zitting написав:
> > Our policy has normally been to only include bug fixes in patch
> > releases, so I'd rather wait for 1.5 until releasing JCR-1365.
>
> Is it bug fix: significant (10x times) speedup of terrible sluggish query?

No. A bug is a deviation from documented behaviour.

We haven't documented the kind of query performance you can expect, so
a performance improvement clearly isn't a bug fix.

> This patch does not change behavior or adds new feature.

You're right, but it's still a non-trivial code change that might well
introduce unknown regressions. It is good practice to avoid
introducing unnecessary changes in maintenance branches.

> Please, find a way to include it in 1.4.2 if it is possiibe.

The change belongs in the 1.5 release, but there's no stopping us from
releasing Jackrabbit 1.5 already next week if we so decide. Personally
I don't think JCR-1365 is by itself important enough to justify a new
release and people who want or need it immediately can just as well
build the current trunk for themselves, but if there are enough people
who'd like to see 1.5 released soon then I don't see any reason why we
couldn't do that.

BR,

Jukka Zitting