jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Same name siblings
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:40:44 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Martijn Hendriks <martijnh@gx.nl> wrote:
> I would say that SNS is worth the effort because dropping support completely
> will give a serious migration issue for users that have deployed repositories that
> use SNS and want to stay close to the newest Jackrabbit version.

Agreed. Based on the comments in this thread I think we need to keep
supporting SNS.

> I am not into the technical details of the SNS support: what is exactly causing
> problems and what would be needed to fix it?

The main concerns are indexing (JCR-392) and versioning (JCR-43,
JCR-435). Quite often we also see other issues related to SNS, see for
example JCR-1167.

I believe the technical issues could mostly (there are some tricky
corner case semantics) be resolved, but currently we're not putting
too much priority on such issues as evidenced by three of our four
oldest known issues being about same name siblings. One reason for
this is our basic response "same name siblings should be avoided"
(JCR-392).

I don't think such approach is viable in the long term, so IMHO we
need to decide whether using SNS is OK or not. If it's OK (as seems to
be the message of this thread) then we need to start treating SNS
issues more seriously and prioritize them higher than we do at the
moment.

We can debate about and come up with guidelines on how to best use SNS
where needed and where SNS is best avoided, but a "don't use SNS"
response to SNS bug reports is IMHO not valid.

BR,

Jukka Zitting