jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why there's no jcr-1.0.jar in 1.4 war dist?
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 05:38:24 GMT
Hi,

On Feb 1, 2008 12:44 AM, Alex Lukin <lukin@stu.cn.ua> wrote:
> Could not agree with you. Academicaly you are 100% right but how many users will
> use war dist with jrc-1.0.jar already in tomcat's lib dir? And how many users will just
> say: "that thing does not work, bye!"
> This is common place for the project: Techical things allmost excellent, but user
> must be more then advanced level to jump over "entry barrier". Do you guys need
> users at all? :)

Good point, and something that we definitely need to improve on.

However, I'd rather avoid cutting corners when improving the
out-of-the-box experience with Jackrabbit. While we could bundle the
JCR API jar in the webapp (and we actually did that earlier), it would
only mean that people would just run into the same barrier a bit
later. And then we'd have a bigger problem at our hands, as you'd need
to cut the Jackrabbit war file open and customize it to make it work
properly in typical deployment scenarios.

But yeah, there's a lot of things we could do better on this front and
any ideas and contributions are welcome. I just don't believe in
short-term hacks as the way forward.

For example we might want to push for a Jackrabbit deployment who's
primary targets are web clients (HTML browsers, WebDAV, JSON, APP,
etc.) instead of other webapps on the server side. That model would
likely also be more interesting to people who just want to set up and
run a repository. In fact, this is pretty much what the incubating
Sling project is currently doing with their Launchpad concept.

BR,

Jukka Zitting