jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Angela Schreiber <anch...@day.com>
Subject Re: properties with XML-Values; patch
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:59:12 GMT
Julian Reschke wrote:
> If we want enable Jackrabbit to store things like that, we need to map
> the WebDAV property to something over than a single-valued string. It
> may be possible to use JCR child nodes, but I'm not sure how that fits
> into the Jackrabbit WebDAV design.

why shouldn't it fit?
1) the dav-library doesn't know anything about the JCR api
    and shouldn't make any restrictions to the properties
    as long as it conforms to the webdav-rfc.
    if that's not true -> bug.

2) in case of the simple server it's up to the PropertyHandler
    to decide how the DAV-properties should be mapped to JCR
    content both upon writing and upon reading.

3) there is no requirement that DAV properties must be
    mapped to jcr properties in the first place. although
    i think that its a natural mapping for the simple cases.

i'd say we have 2 issues:

- make sure that xml-valued dav properties are properly
   passed to the property-handler (dav-library).

- think about a feasable default behaviour with the
   given set of PropertyHandler implementations.

the rest could then be left to customizations.

View raw message