jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Angela Schreiber <anch...@day.com>
Subject Re: properties with XML-Values; patch
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2008 08:00:16 GMT
Julian Reschke wrote:
> Roland Porath wrote:

>> Plus all the clients I've looked at so far seem to support xml
>> properties. I'd say there's a bit of a fait accompli

that might be. but actually: what is the use case of having
xml properties? (sorry if i don't get that).

the fact that there is additional xml around some
sort of 'real' property value, gives me the impression that
you want to express some additional 'meaning' by using the xml.

and i would say that this is a different thing than having
a simple property value of various types (see JCR PropertyType),
isn't it?

>> (pardon my french) here.

no problem :-)

> Actually, I've been in the business of supporting WebDAV clients and
> servers for lots of years, and I haven't seen XML properties in practice.

ah. nor did i (but i used to work in the server implementation
only and my client experience is based on simple test... no xml
properties after all)

> The issue is that Jackrabbit currently can't store XML-typed properties.
> That's a conformance problem.

so maybe we can at least try to find out, what was the
expected usage of those xml-properties... maybe there is
just a different way to achieve that.

so, i'd like to understand what is the goal of custom
xml properties.

View raw message