jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Alessandro Bologna" <alessandro.bolo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Same name siblings
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 17:09:55 GMT
Hi,

I agree that it can be messy, and that many people use it for the
wrong purpose, but I would like to mention that a very important use
case for SNS is the ability to import XML and to access individual XML
elements or attributes using JCR APIs.

The DocumentView import is *tremendously* useful when used in a
content processing environment, and I am afraid that dropping support
for SNS all together would drive some of people (like us) that are
currently using Jackrabbit to use just an XMLDB. Besides, if used in
the context of XML, we import documents under a not SNS wrapper (say
article00x, or "myFirstArticle"), and never had an issue with  this
approach.

So with a little bit of REST architecturale style and some SAX/XSLT on
top of it, JCR is working great, probably better than we could have
hoped for. And, lastly, I think that Roy's Fielding vision on the JCR
was to support this type of use case. I am still digesting the
deprecation of XPATH in JSR 283, dropping XML support would be a
little too much.. ;).

So for me is a -1.

Alessandro