jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Lukin <lu...@stu.cn.ua>
Subject Re: Why there's no jcr-1.0.jar in 1.4 war dist?
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 10:12:28 GMT
Dear Jukka!
> Hi,
>
> On Feb 1, 2008 7:56 AM, Thomas Mueller <thomas.tom.mueller@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What about a 'standalone' download of Jackrabbit that includes Jetty?
>
> That would be nice, and also well in line with the
> embedded->shared->standalone deployment scenarios.

I think that it is not a big deal to do such "quick start" bundles for  deployment models
1,2,3.
It will be good for developers. I spent 2 days with right model 2 setup (may be I'm so stupid,
who knows :) and I think a lot of people who
did not get it working in couple of hours just spit on the flor and gone away.

> One of the key reasons for not doing that so far is that we don't yet
> have production-ready JCR remoting options that would perform really
> well. JCR-RMI is stable and feature-rich but not very fast, and WebDAV
> remoting is still in the sandbox.

You'll never get it right without users' loopbak. That's catch 22.

> But perhaps we should just do this, and let the performance issues
> sort themselves out. It's better to let features drive improvements
> and bug fixes than vice versa.

You must. No "perhaps" :) If I where not interested very much in the technology academicaly,
I'd never use it, belive me.
I think taht jackrabbit is great  and wish you good luck! But ... agh! You know! :)

--
SY, Alex Lukin
RIPE NIC HDL: LEXA1-RIPE