jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Lukin <lu...@stu.cn.ua>
Subject Re: Why there's no jcr-1.0.jar in 1.4 war dist?
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 09:09:07 GMT
Friday 01 February 2008 07:56:37 Thomas Mueller написав:
> Hi,
>
> What about a 'standalone' download of Jackrabbit that includes Jetty?
> Apache Continuum does this. The installation would be:
>
> - download jackrabbit-standalone.zip
> - expand it
> - double clock on run.sh / run.bat
> - a browser window is started automatically, or the URL is printed out
>
> For Windows users (I think still the majority) we could even have a
> simple installer (bases on NSIS, as used by Apache Tomcat).
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

That sounds good and people from eXo do exactly that way. (http://www.exoplatform.org/)
You may create separate standalone bundle to play with. But there's allmost nothing to play
for just curious windows user.

I think that windows users with no or little java/tomcat expirience are not primary target
audience.
Developers are people you ought to think of. And each developer need:

 1) quick start gude and example app (raely quick!) to play with technology and decide to
use it or not
 2) examples and tutorials to go trough in a couple of days and be able to accomplish regular
tasks
 3) real good documentation on concepts, architecture and API to do real development based
on technology
 4) place where to go with questions (only this one works by now)

SY, Alex Lukin
RIPE NIC HDL: LEXA1-RIPE