jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Esteban Franqueiro" <esteban.franque...@bea.com>
Subject Re: On the extensibility of the core
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:43:25 GMT
> Maybe your changes would helpful for others as well. What are those changes?

The most important is to be able to read concurrently from the data store. The rest of the
are in the garbage collector and the fact that I use a pooled data source for connections,
so I need
a different way to create them.

> Could you post a patch?

Sure, when I have it working.

> It's not a big problem to make things protected. Only, if your code depends
> on specific behavior of Jackrabbit, and Jackrabbit changes, your code may
> break. Or, Jackrabbit may not be changed because it may break source code
> that depends on it.

I know it's a risk. In fact, the last few weeks I've been dealing with exactly what you say.
that doesn't mean extending Jackrabbit should not be possible. If that's not the case, then
classes should be made final, as a way to convey the idea that extending is not the way to
On the other hand, I think that if people messes with the internals of Jackrabbit, they should
that knowing the risks involved (what you mentioned). Jackrabbit must preserve compatibility
at the
JCR level and all published interfaces. The rest goes as-is.

>> do we wan't people not being able to extend Jackrabbit in this way?
> I think yes.

I don't :)

Esteban Franqueiro