jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Esteban Franqueiro" <esteban.franque...@bea.com>
Subject On the extensibility of the core
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:38:22 GMT
Hi.
I was wondering why there seems to be a problem with allowing the core to be extended in some
ways.
In my particular case, I need the database data store, and the current implementation doen't
quite
fit my needs. So I wanted to change some details of it. My plan was to extend DbDataStore
and make
my changes there. But then I find out there are some utility methods/classes that don't have
the
visibility required to be used in derived clases. For example, DbDataStore.moveToTempFile()
is
private and TempFileInputStream's constructor is package-private.
So my question is: do we wan't people not being able to extend Jackrabbit in this way?
Regards,

Esteban Franqueiro
esteban.franqueiro@bea.com