jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Why has the Locked class moved to the spi-commons?
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:10:35 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> after updating to jackrabbit 1.4 I noticed that the Locked class has
> moved from the jcr-commons to the spi-commons package.
>
> Now, this may be a dumb question, but why this move?

that was probably by mistake. looking at the sources however showed that the
class is still present in jackrabbit-jcr-commons, marked deprecated. I'm not
sure what the reasons were to deprecated it. I'd rather keep it in jcr-commons,
since it only has a dependency to the JCR API.

we should probably clarify what classes belong to jcr-commons and spi-commons.
here's what I think:

- jcr-commons: contains classes that are useful for a JCR API client and have
minimal dependencies.
- spi-commons: contains classes that are useful for a JCR or SPI implementation.
may have a dependency to jcr-commons, though I'd prefer to not have the
dependency but there are classes that are in use by both API clients and
implementations, e.g. en-/decoding classes.

regards
  marcel