jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Implementing virtual, per session subtree
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:07:26 GMT
(Berry) A.W. van Halderen wrote:
> Yes, we definitely want to expose this additional data as items.  The whole
> point is that it allows the repository to expose information about itself
> in the JCR tree.  Much like the jcr:system tree in one way, but now session
> dependend.  We can build faceted navigation and views this way.
>
> You don't actually want this at the application side.  The whole point
> of a (JCR) repository is that you put core functionality in one place,
> instead of having to duplicate this functionality.
>
> Instead of using a proprietary repository or proprietary extensions for JCR,
> which would still imply you have to adapt your application to use the
> additional functionality, it is better to just expose additional functionality
> in JCR itself.  Any JCR application can in principle use it, as it is still
> JCR compliant.

ok, I see. if the additional data is some kind of extract from the real content
you may still use the approach with an event listener. instead of updating a
data structure in your application you can just write e.g. the node count back
to the workspace into a session private location. but this is only reasonable if
the data you need to update after every save is small.

regards
  marcel