jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "(Berry) A.W. van Halderen" <b.vanhalde...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: NGP: Simple journal and tree structures
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:21:28 GMT
On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 01:22:13AM +0200, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> In the past few hours I committed some simple NGP prototype code that
> implements a journal of binary records and a simple tree content
> structure based on such records. I'm combining ideas from the
> append-only data store concept and a more optimized node serialization
> format. Eventually I'd like to be able to just map the journal file to
> memory and implement things like Node.getNodes() backed directly on
> the serialized node format without having to explicitly parse it into
> an in-memory Java object structure.

Quering; which would be the layer where the NGP operate?  I was previously
in the understanding that the NGP would be the storage layer which operates
below or in the place of the current SharedItemStateManager.  With
the remark to implement things like Node.getNodes() I gather that you
want to do away (in time) with the set of ItemStateManagers.

Apart from this being a total re-write, which would block a lot of progress,
I'm also worried that this would tie in the implementation of JCR by
JackRabbit a lot with how things would be stored.
NGP looking like a sound idea, is not the only method of storage, and I
would rather see the ability of different storage layers with different
characteristics.

But maybe I totally misinterpreted your comment though...

Regards,
\Berry
--
Berry A.W. van Halderen           b.vanhalderen@hippo.nl / berry@halderen.net
Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the opinion