jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "(Berry) A.W. van Halderen" <b.vanhalde...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: Implementing virtual, per session subtree
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:24:01 GMT
On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 11:40:21AM +0100, Marcel Reutegger wrote:
> that's quite a unusual functionality you propose. why do you want to expose
> this additional data as item? I would rather implement an event listener
> and simply keep the volatile information in a data structure of my
> application.

Yes, we definitely want to expose this additional data as items.  The whole
point is that it allows the repository to expose information about itself
in the JCR tree.  Much like the jcr:system tree in one way, but now session
dependend.  We can build faceted navigation and views this way.

You don't actually want this at the application side.  The whole point
of a (JCR) repository is that you put core functionality in one place,
instead of having to duplicate this functionality.

Instead of using a proprietary repository or proprietary extensions for JCR,
which would still imply you have to adapt your application to use the
additional functionality, it is better to just expose additional functionality
in JCR itself.  Any JCR application can in principle use it, as it is still
JCR compliant.

> regards
>  marcel

Regards back,
\Berry

--
Berry A.W. van Halderen           b.vanhalderen@hippo.nl / berry@halderen.net
Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the opinion