jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Pfister" <dominique.pfis...@day.com>
Subject Re: Clustering and consistency
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 06:34:16 GMT
Hi Jukka,

> The issue shouldn't be that critical for deployments with mostly read
> access, or write access happening only on a single cluster node, or
> even multiple nodes writing to separate branches of the content tree.
> But do we have a good picture of what will happen if multiple cluster
> nodes concurrently update the same content nodes?

What happens is the following: before actually being able to store its
changes, a cluster node has to "lock and sync", i.e. it must first
obtain a non-shareable lock on the journal (which is either a file or
a database table) and will then read all changes upto the latest
revision. If one of those changes conflicts with the change this
cluster node is currently trying to save, the whole update process
will fail with a StaleItemException, similar to the situation when
another session in the same repository would have made that change.

Kind regards
Dominique