jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is this issue resolved?
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:36:59 GMT
Hi,

On 10/3/07, Peter Travas <ptravas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've hit this page: http://blog.jinspired.com/?p=40 when reading about JSR
> on http://www.infoq.com/articles/spring-modules-jcr
> [...]
> Has this issue been already addressed? If so, in which version (bug id
> reference)?
> It sounds quite serious, I think that you should post a reply on this thread
> because it sounds scary.

There was some discussion about that on TSS some time ago, see the
comments on http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=45763.

It seems that most of the issues raised by JXInsight were just cases
where the Jackrabbit code actually works correctly but doesn't follow
the JDBC/J2EE practices as codified in JXInsight. For example one of
the central practices that JXInsight seems to worry about is not using
a single JDBC connection from multiple different threads. This would
most likely be a big problem if the threads were accessing the
connection concurrently, but in Jackrabbit's case such access is
normally explicitly synchronized - a crucial fact that the JXInsight
analysis doesn't notice.

So far we've yet to see a real-world bug report related to the issues
raised in the blog entries you referred to, so I don't consider them
too serious even if these are real problems. I'd certainly welcome
someone to dig deeper to the results. There seems to be a free
developer version of the JXInsight tool available, if someone is
interested.

BR,

Jukka Zitting