jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JeCARS and Jackrabbit
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 13:47:17 GMT
Hi,

On 9/21/07, Jacco van Weert <1111software@gmail.com> wrote:
> We at the NLR (National Aerospace Laboratory, The Netherlands) are preparing
> to release our JeCARS (Java Extendable Contents And Rights System) as open
> source software, it will be Apache License v2.0 (on sourceforge).

Nice!

> JeCARS uses Jackrabbit so we also want to include Jackrabbit as well. I now
> want to check that we are doing things the right way. We include the binary
> .jar files in the JeCARS CVS repository and add for every jar file the LICENSE.txt
> file. Is this okay?

Yes. Basically you need to include the license (only a single copy is
enough) and a notice like "This product includes software developed at
The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)." See the
actual license and the FAQ
(http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html) for all the
details.

> About the jsr_170.jar file, can we distribute that as well?.... same
> license?

The JCR API jar file (jcr-1.0.jar) is not available under the Apache
License, but you can still include it in your distribution.

The original Specification License associated with the API jar is
rather strict about redistribution (though AFAIK it would have allowed
you to embed the file since you're embedding a conforming JCR
implementation), but see
http://www.day.com/maven/jsr170/jars/LICENSE.txt for an addendum that
gives you broader rights for redistribution.

BR,

Jukka Zitting